1) Pick a resolution that is important to you. If you choose something because someone else told you to, you will fail. It must be something that you want, and you have to want it enough that you are willing to alter your life-style to accomplish it.
2) Pick a resolution that you can manage. If you weigh 300 pounds resolving to run the L.A. Marathon might be a stretch. But resolving to lose 100 pounds might be manageable, and 50# would be even better.
3) Set a goal. For example, if your resolution is to exercise more, then you need to set a specific goal. Perhaps it is to get your heart up to the target rate for 45 minutes 3 times per week (a very good goal by the way). Again, make sure it is a goal that you can eventually manage. And as always, once you reach a goal you can make a new one.
4) Have a plan. Whether you are trying to lose weight, exercise more, get healthier, eat better, you must have a concrete plan. What are you going to do to lose weight? What exercise are you going to do? What are you going to change to get healthier? How are you going to eat better?
5) Follow the plan.
6) AND THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP: Dr. Rick’s Rule of Ones!!!
Whatever your resolution, whatever your goal, whatever your plan, whatever “it” is that you have resolved to do, YOU MUST NEVER LET ONE WEEK GO BY WITHOUT DOING “IT” ONE TIME = RULE OF ONES.
If you are like me you will have weeks where you get busy. You might be sick. You might be injured. Work will run late. The kids need new shoes. The sun is in your eyes. There is a hole in your glove. You will have weeks where life will just not allow you to succeed. But that does not mean you have to fail. If you go one full week without doing “it”, going two is even easier. Once you have gone two weeks you will have for all intents and purposes failed. Whether you apply the Rule of Ones to taking vitamins, changing your diet, losing weight, or doing your favorite exercise, you cannot fail.
Keep in mind doing “it” once a week will not lead to success. “It” must be done daily or 3 or 4 or 5 times a week depending upon what “it” we are talking about. But the Rule of Ones will absolutely prevent failure. As trite as it might seem the biggest way to succeed is simply not to fail. Resolve to never fail by using the Rule of Ones on all life’s resolutions. Good luck!!!