By the time you get your first adjustment I’ve done a bunch of examination, I’ve said a lot of words, some of which you got and some of which you forgot. Yet the question gets asked over and over, “What is happening when this “crack” thingy, this adjustment happens to my spine? How is this really helping me?” As simple as chiropractic really is, the adjustment is incredibly complex, powerful, and unique. Nothing else in health care compares. Read below and you will see what I mean:
1)Scar tissue – The adjustment is breaking down old scar tissue in the joint structures. This scar tissue has built up over a lifetime of TLG: Time, Life, and Gravity.
2)Movement – The adjustment is restoring motion and mobility to these same joints, a little bit at a time.
- Pressure – The adjustment is instantly reducing pressure within the joint. If we could put a pressure gauge on the joint (like a tire gauge) the pressure would instantly go down.
- Inflammation – The adjustment is reducing the degree of inflammation in and around the spine at a fairly rapid rate. 50% of the inflammation can be reduced in one or two dozen treatments after decades and decades of build-up. Way more effective than any drug.
- Muscle Reset – The adjustment is resetting mechano-receptors. There are sensors in the joints that keep the local muscles tight or in spasm, and those sensors are reset after each adjustment, leading to immediate muscle relaxation.
- Habit Pattern Retrain – The adjustment is retraining Negative Neurological Habit Patterns, bad motion patterns that are memorized in your brain. In other words, decades of bad movement of the spine has become the new normal, even though it is grossly abnormal. Repeated adjustments help to retrain the brain to know real normal again.
- Cartilage Hydration – The adjustment is helping to rehydrate the intervertebral discs by activating the disc-pump, which is essential to slow or stop disc degeneration.
- Nerve Stress – The adjustment is reducing stress to the nerve system, helping every cell, tissue, and organ in the body that those nerves travel to and control.
- Anti-oxidation – The adjustment has been shown to increase blood levels of thiole, one of our primary anti-oxidant chemicals, essential to prevent and repair genetic mutation.
- Alignment – Sometimes, the adjustment is restoring better alignment in some rare cases. Most spinal subluxation is more about how things are working, and less than how they line up. But in rare cases restoring alignment is a main goal.
So “crack” might be the sound you hear, and it might be what you tell your friends that I do, but using that word may be the very thing that scares them from seeking out the very treatment that may change their life.